牛津8B Unit4 A charity show单元练习题
1. I think ____ important to learn English well.
A. this B. that C. it D. you are
2. The fans were very excited ______ David Beckham came to the show.
A. so B. because C. but D. and
3. I hope my father____ ask me about my marks.
A. not B. not to C. won’t D. don’t
4. I ______ that I were a bird.
A. wish B. hope C. want D. expect
5. The radio is________ a strange signal. What’s wrong with it?
A. giving up B. giving in C. giving out D. giving away
6. —How do you like this dress?
—It’s beautiful, and it fits me well. _______ I like it very much.
A. Or B. So C. But D. Since
9. You’d better sing. It doesn’t ______ whether you can sing well or not.
A. work B. matter C. problem D. affect
10. They’d like ____ thank the following people _____ their help and support.
A. to; to B. for; for C. to; for D. for; to
11. —Have you finished the work?
—Not yet, but no matter how hard it is, we'll keep ________ until we make it.
A. failed B. trying C. tried D. failing
12. Project Hope is an organization _______ raises money to build schools and buy books for poor children.
A. that B. who C. what D. where
13. —Are you hungry now?
—_______. I have just had two bowls of rice.
A. Not a bit B. It doesn’t matter C. Not a little D. I don’t mind.
14. My coat __________ there behind the door. Can’t you see it?
A. is hanged B. is hanging C. hangs D. has hung
15. I don’t know ______ a show. Can you tell me?
A. how organize B. what organize C. what to organize D. how to organize
16. I ___ I could fly to the moon one day.
A. want B. hope C. wish D. like
17. His brother can play tennis very well because he ______ tennis after work.
A. practices playing B. practices to play
C. practices to playing D. practices play
18. When we heard the news, all of us were very ___.
A. exciting B. excited C. interesting D. interest
Jimmy started painting when he was four years old. When he was six, he was already very good at it. He 1 many beautiful and interesting pictures, and people 2 a lot of money for them. They said, “This boy’s going to be 3 when he’s a little older, and then we’re going to 4 these pictures for a lot more money. Then we will get rich.”
Jimmy’s pictures were 5 from other people’s because he never painted on the whole piece of 6 . He painted on half of it, and the other half was always 7 .
“That’s very clever,” everyone said, “ 8 else does that!”
One day somebody bought one of Jimmy’s 9 and then said to him, “Please tell me this, Jimmy. Why do you paint on the 10 half of your paper, but not on the top half?”
“Because I’m small,” Jimmy said, “and my brushes don’t reach very high.”
1. A. took B. borrowed C. lent D. painted
2. A. paid B. bought C. wanted D. needed
3. A. young B. famous C. short D. cool
4. A. fill B. buy C. sell D. draw
5. A. different B. similar C. away D. good
6. A. glass B. wood C. paper D. table
7. A. empty B. full C. dirty D. blue
8. A. Anybody B. Somebody C. Everybody D. Nobody
9. A. brushes B. books C. pictures D. pens
10. A. middle B. bottom C. right D. left
Almost every child in cities has the chance to go to school, but not all children in the countries are so lucky.
There is a girl cal led Xiao Fang. She is eight years old and lives in a small village in Guangxi. When she was young, she wanted to go to school. But she could not, because her family was too poor to afford the school fees for her, so her parents had to keep her at home. Instead of studying, Xiao Fang worked in the fields with her parents every day. Then Hope Project heard about Xiao Fang. It agreed to help Xiao Fang to go to school. Her wish of study came true, and now she is studying in a school.
Unluckily ther e are many thousands of children who can not go to school. You can join in Hope Project and help these children. You know all the good work needs money. Hope Project needs your help.
If you give Hope Project ￥300 each year, it can pay for one child to go to school for a whole year. With more money, Hope Project can build new schools, buy good desks, chairs, blackboards and books. let’s help the children together and give them a chance to have a good start in life.
1. _____ can go to school.
A. Almost every child in the world B. Almost every child in China
C. Almost every child in big cities D. Almost every child in small villages
2. Xiao Fang didn’t go to school when she was young because_________.
A. her family was too poor
B. she didn’t like to go to school
C. there was too much work for her to do
D. she could learn nothing at school
3. With ￥300, _________.
A. one child can go to school for nine years
B. a new school can be built
C. many children can go to school
D. a child can go to school for a whole year
One day an American called Simon went to London to visit his friend, Rick. Rick told him that his flat was on the first floor. When he arrived, Simon went straight to the first floor of the building. But he was told that there was no Rick on that floor. Do you know why?
In fact, the British call the first floor of a building the ground floor. The floor above the ground floor is the first floor, which Americans would call the second floor.
The story shows that there are a few culture differences between Britain and America, though the British and Americans both speak English.
The British usually hide their feelings. They seldom start a conversation with strangers. For example, on the train the British often spend their time reading newspapers or books. But Americans are quite different. They’re more active and easier to talk with.
The British and Americans may use different terms for many things. The British usually use football, eraser and mail while Americans prefer to use soccer, rubber and post.
6. Simon went to London to ______.
A. visit his friend B. spend his holiday
C. study English D. have a meeting
7. Which picture shows us where Rick’s flat was? ______.
8. According to the passage, the British usually spend their time ______ on the train.
A. playing cards B. talking loudly
C. doing some reading D. singing and dancing
9. What does the underlined word “terms” mean in Chinese in the passage? ______.
A. 成果 B.学期 C. 会议 D. 用语
10. What’s the best title for the passage? ______.
A. Differences in culture B. Simon’s funny story
C. Information abroad D. Hiding the feelings
A man came home from work late, tired, to find his 5-year-old son waiting for him at the door.
“Daddy, how much money do you m ake an hour?”
“If you must know, I make $$20 an hour,”
“Oh,” the little boy replied, with his head down. He thought for a moment, looked up and said, “Daddy, could you lend me $$10?”
The father was furious, “If you asked for the money to buy a toy or some other rubbish, then go straight to your room and think about why you are being so selfish（自私的）!”
The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door. After about an hour or so, the father calmed（平静）down, and started to think, “Maybe he really needs to buy something and he didn’t really ask for money very often.” So he went to the little boy’s room.
“Sorry! Maybe I was too hard on you just now.” said the man, “Here’s $$10.”
“Oh, thank you, Daddy!” he said happily. Then, the boy took out some coins. When the father found that the boy already had money, he got angry again.
“Why do you want more money since you already have some?” the father shouted angrily.
“Because I didn’t have enough, but now I do.” the little boy replied, “Daddy, I have $$20 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you.”
11. How much does the boy’s father make an ho ur? ______.
A. $$10 B. $$20 C. $$30 D. $$40
12. In this passage, the underlined word “furious” means _____ _.
A. very angry B. quite happy C. too excited D. a little nervou s
13. At first, the father refused to lend the boy any money because ______.
A. he thought the boy wanted to keep the money for himself
B. he did not have enough money at that moment
C. he thought the boy would buy something of no use
D. the boy always borrowed money from him
14. The boy wanted to buy ______ with twenty dollars.
A. a new book for himself B. a nice present for his father
C. a toy for his own birthday D. an hour of his father’s time
15. From the passage, we can infer（推断）that the boy’s father ______.
A. often played with his son B. spent little time with his son
C. didn’t love his son at all D. often came back home early
1. I don’t know what made him laugh so_______(excite)?
2. Andy Law will give two______(perform) in Nanjing this year.
3. He made a ________(decide) not to go there this week.
4. Most international ________(busy) letters are written in English.
5. “We are proud of your_______(successful), Daniel.” said father.
6.The best way to learn English is to practise ___( speak) it.
7.The girl often give out leaflets ____(ask) people to donate money.
8.It was my cousin’s job ____ (introduce) each star.
9.I hope we can have more events like this ____ (raise) money.
10.I _____ (help) with a charity show this time last week.
1.The students are organizing a c______ show to raise money .
2. If you want to learn English well, you must p______ a lot .
3. We can give out l___ to ask people to donate money.
4. Project hope helps schools and students in p_____ areas.
5.Spring Bud project helps poor young girls r____ to school.
6.Many people were generous and ___ ( 捐赠) lots of money to the poor family.
7.Our charity show was a success and we had a lot of s____ from local government(政府 ).
8.It’s our d_____ to keep our environment clean and tidy.
9.It was exciting to be the _____ ( 主持) of the show.
10.The show will ____( 举办) at the Sunshine Theatre.
instead of , in need, meaningful, even though, used to
My neighbour is an 80-year-old woman. He retired(退休) 25 years ago. He has lived in his small flat on his own since her husband passed away. She is a woman who likes to help people ______11___. ___12___ she is very rich, she leads a simple life. She says he ___13____ be helped by others, now it’s time for him to pay back. __14_____ buying hers elf good clothes, she buys lots of clothes for homeless children. She donates much money to the house for the elderly. She says it’s ___15___to support old people who have no sons or daughters. How helpful and generous he is!
A: May I speak to Paul?
B : This is Paul s____1____.
A: Hi, Paul. I haven't seen you for a long time. What has h_____2___to you?
B : I have been in h____3_____.
A: Oh, sorry to hear that. But w___4_____?
B. I had a car a_____5____ three weeks ago.
A; Really ? So you were h____6_____.
B: Yes. But l____7_____, only my left arm was broken . And I can move it now.
A: Good. But h_ ___8______ did it happe n?
B;I was driving fast to work on that rainy morning. I can’t stop my car and it h 9 another car.
A; You w ere driving too fast.
B: Yes.T___10______to the accident I have to stay in hospital.
One day Jack comes to Mike’s house and says, “Mike, you have so many good books. Can you give me a book to read?” Mike doesn’t want to lend a book to his friend, and he says, “Why do you want to take my book home? You can read it here in my house.”
Jack sees that his friend is very selfish, but he says nothing.
Next day, Mike comes to Jack’s house and says, “Jack, you have a good garden-knife. I want to work in my garden tomorrow. Can I use it for two days?”
Jack answers, “Why do you want to take my garden-knife home? You can work with it in my garden.”
One day, in Mike’s home, Jack wants to borrow a book from him, but Mike doesn’t (1) a . Jack thinks Mike very (2) , and wants to look for a chance(机会) to retaliate(报复) him. Just the next day, Mike comes to Jack’s garden to borrow his (3) . Jack, of course, (4)r to Jack, it is called “An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth”. Now, do you know the meaning of the sentence “An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth”? What’s the Chinese for it? It’s (5)
1. agree 2. selfish 3. garden-knife
4. refuses 5. 以眼还眼，以牙还牙。(经其人之道，还治其人之身。)